Instructions - Distilling Lid & Attachment Kit Safety Instructions
Please read before using any Grainfather Distilling Equipment.
- Avoid touching the lid and clamp during operation as they can be very hot.
- In the rare case you notice the pressure relief valve has opened, immediately turn off the boiler’s heating. After the system has cooled adequately, check for blockages in the still then clean and dry the pressure relief valve before resuming.
- To ensure normal function, after every 10 distillations or if it appears to be dirty, clean and dry the pressure relief valve.
- Ensure your still is vented to atmosphere appropriately whenever the boiler is cooling down to prevent irreparable product damage and possible injury. If the spirit-out tube is submerged in the distillate when the boiler is cooling down without there being another vent to atmosphere, the boiler may draw a vacuum resulting in the boiler collapsing.
Only use with stills that are within the product’s weight and height recommendations.
The G40 & G70 Distilling Lid is designed primarily for small to medium-sized still heads that do not have heavy, off-centre attachments. The lid is reasonably flexible and is sturdy enough to fit a still head that is within the following specifications:
- A still head height up to 1.1 m (3.6 ft) from the lid.
- A still lead weight up to 11 kg (24 lbs), including up to 2 kg (4.4 lbs) of off-centre weight from a swan neck, lyne arm, or condenser running in parallel with the column and offset up to 160 mm (6”) to the main column
We recommend external support if:
- Your still exceeds the above specifications.
- The lyne arm is not vertical but angled or perpendicular running away from the column, resulting in significantly distant off-centre weight.
- If the main still head (column) is noticeably leaning.